Who is Michael La Ronn?
Who I am: Michael La Ronn, science fiction & fantasy author at your service. I write about underdogs, and my fiction is hopelessly optimistic.
Why I write: I almost died in 2012 and the near-death experience made me realize that being an author was my true calling in life. (see the video above)
What I write about: Underdogs. Heroes who aren't typical heroes. Sometimes they're outsiders or outcasts. Sometimes they're blood-thirsty, evil dragons. But I love to tell stories about characters whose odds are stacked against them.
Where I'm from: St. Louis, born and raised. I live in Des Moines, Iowa now.
When I started writing: Total cliche answer, but I started writing when I was a kid. Every writer will tell you that…….but I have the awful poems and embarrassing short stories to PROVE it.
How I write: I wake up at 5:30AM every morning and write. I drink lots of tea. And then I write some more. When I'm not reading, of course.
MY WRITER'S MANIFESTO
- I believe that it’s up to each and every one of us to be the best possible versions of ourselves.
- I believe that it's okay to be different, and that no one can take away what makes you unique.
- I believe that stories make us better people because they expand our minds and show us life through someone else's eyes.
- I believe that stories change lives–they've changed mine in immeasurable ways.
- I believe that human nature is inherently good, and that most people are just doing the best they can.
That's what I stand for. My heroes do, too.
No matter what I'm writing, I always stick to my manifesto.
Whatever you're reading, whether it's sci-fi or fantasy, you're going to get a unique character trying to make their way in a world where they're different and no one understands them. They become the best possible versions of themselves in spite of it all, just like I have in my own life, just like I want for you in your life, too.
If you've made it this far, it sounds like you're one of my peeps. Check out some of my books!
Follow me on Social Media